Trimbos Institute - For mental health
The Trimbos Institute stands for a mentally healthy society in which people have as much control as possible over their own lives and feel connected to each other. We work to improve quality of life by increasing and sharing knowledge about mental health and the prevention of tobacco, alcohol, and drug (mis)use.
Alcohol and tobacco
We monitor the use of alcohol and tobacco in The Netherlands, research the impact of these substances on society, provide advice to the general public, and develop interventions to help people reduce or quit the use of alcohol and tobacco. Get in touch to learn more.
We track changes in drug (mis)use, the health and social consequences of drug (mis)use, and in drug markets through various monitoring systems and research programs. We aim to both prevent drug use and reduce the harms associated with drug (mis)use. We provide products for health professionals, policy makers, and the general public.
We offer guidance and support to professionals who provide mental health care services, as well as offering information and expertise to the general public on mental health concerns from depression to dementia. Our experts guide institutions and governments in the development and evaluation of mental health policies.
Publications in English
Tobacco, alcohol, drugs
- Smoking in the Netherlands, key statistics 2020
- National Drug Monitor 2019
- Drugs Information and Monitoring System (DIMS) annual report
- Online drug monitoring (factsheet)
- Monitor on substance use and pregnancy
- Local tobacco control policies in The Netherlands (factsheet)
- Smoking cessation counselling in maternity care in The Netherlands (factsheet)
Who we are
We are a diverse, creative and dedicated group of nearly 220 specialists in mental health and the use of addictive substances like alcohol, tobacco and drugs. Many of our senior staff hold part-time academic positons. As a registered non-profit organisation, we constantly aim to benefit the public.
Our key activities include:
- Strengthening mental health in the Netherlands and preventing depression, anxiety, and suicide
- Improving the quality of life of people living with mental illness
- Conducting research on alcohol and tobacco consumption and advising on prevention programs
- Disseminating information the public, professionals, and governments about limiting drug (mis)use
- Preventing addiction around gambling and gaming
WHO Collaborating Centre for mental health services and interventions over the lifecourse
We are a World Health Organisation (WHO) Collaborating Center of good practices in mental health. We are an international leader in the field of mental health with over 15 years of experience creating and disseminating evidence-based prevention and intervention approaches. We are part of a network that facilitates and disseminates good practices in mental health at the local level and worldwide.
Get to know us better
Download our corporate brochure 'Focus on mental health' to discover our activities, projects, and products.